Employment Visa

The employment of non-Jamaicans in Jamaica is governed by the Foreign Nationals and Commonwealth Citizens (Employment) Act, 1964, which seeks to ensure that qualified Jamaicans are given first consideration in employment opportunities. At the same time, it is recognized that the expertise needed for economic development is not always available because of shortage in the supply of certain special skills.

Non-Jamaicans seeking employment in Jamaica are required to obtain a work permit.  Work Permits are issued only by the Ministry of Labour and Social Security in Jamaica and all applications should be submitted directly to that Ministry.  Their contact details are:

  • Ministry of Labour and Social Security
    1F North Street, Kingston, Jamaica W.I.
  • Telephone: 00 1876 922 9500-12

Short-Term Business

Foreign nationals entering the country to conduct short-term business (such as consultations, meetings, inspections, repairs, technical advice) are admissible as ‘visitors’ in accordance with the entry requirements applicable to the visitors from their respective countries (e.g. A French national who is travelling to Jamaica to conduct business may enter as a visitor for 30 days without a visa). Each visit should not exceed thirty (30) days and the cumulative number of days within a calendar year should not exceed one hundred and eighty (180) days. The usual conditions remain in place with respect to persons who seek to be admitted on the basis of employment, study etc.

Work Permit Fee Structure

Effective April 28, 2008

Category of Work Permit Application Fee WorkJ$ Work Permit FeeJ$
a) Work permits granted for any period up to three (3) months. 14,400.00 or its equivalent 27,000.00 or its equivalent
b) Work permits granted for a period of more than three (3) months, but not more than six (6) months. 14,400.00 or its equivalent 54,000.00 or its equivalent
c) More than six (6) months, but not more than nine 9 months. 14,400.00 or its equivalent 81,000.00 or its equivalent
c) Work permits granted for any periodof more than nine (9) months. but not more than one (1) year. 14,400.00 or its equivalent 108,000.00 or its equivalenta
N.B Work Permit granted for any period in excess of one (1) year JA$27,000 for every three (3) month period or part thereof.

A fee of JA$7,200.00 or its equivalent will be charged to replace ID Cards lost, damaged or stolen.

Fees are subject to change. Please contact the Ministry of Labour and Social Security for further information:

Mrs. Andrea Miller Stennett
Ministry of Labour & Social Security
Work Permit Section
Tel:  1-876-922-3904
E-mail:  www.mlss.gov.jm

Visa Application Form Work Permit Form
  • Cruise passengers
  • Online application forms